1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Air Pump?

Discussion in 'Tanks and Equipment' started by Harry, May 29, 2007.

1. Harry

Harry New Member

Hi All

Can anyone advise on a good QUIET air pump it will used for a breeding project, it will need to run two breeding tanks (Huey Hung Filters) and also a brine shrimp hatcher...

I have a new Tetratec pump already but it's a noisy bugger, and also a 4 outlet Hailea 9610 that I bought on ebay thats turned out to be next to useless. I don't want to buy another lemon so please could you advise?

Sorry forgot to say Hello to everyone on the forum...:oops:

Harry
  2. TomSharland

TomSharland New Member

I use a Sera 550R from HERE. It has 4 outlets and a variable air flow knob (oo eerr) it came with some y-pieces to allow the 4 flows to be channelled into 1. Its very quite, especially compared to a Hailea one, very noisy buggers them.

Although I doubt you will find a silent one, the bread knife gives me some real jip about 'that god-damn humming noise':chuckle:

Hope that helps

Tom
  3. Paul

Paul BIDKA Founder

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi Harry and welcome :)

I have a Hailea and find it pretty good, maybe their quality varies, mine is reasonably quiet too. I think allmair pumps make some noise.
  4. Paul@discusSouth

Paul@discusSouth New Member

The design of the Sera is so similar to the Hailea to be unbelievable. I would venture to suggest, from what I'm told by my contacts in Malaysia, that these are OEM and Sera have put there name on it - same as Hailea:)

I also believe that air breaking the water surface along with the airstone itself is the culprit for the noise rather than the pumps themselves - but there ya go - you get what you pay for:evilgrin:

Paul :cool:
  5. TomSharland

TomSharland New Member

I'm just going off experience with the Sera and Hailea. Having owned both and sat them side by side, they look very similar (if not the same), but the Hailea made such a racket that it had to go back. Plus, the Sera was only £17.99 delivered (cf Hailea £14.50 delivered), so not much in price difference.

Tom
  6. Mark Evenden

Mark Evenden BIDKA Mentor & Sponsor Staff Member

Here at home on the goldfish we have a Tetra APS 150 with little rubber feet - it dead quiet:) ..Listen, can you hear it?..thought not:chuckle:

Upstairs in my girls room they have a Newtech air pump and it is really noisey...but they only notice it when the Hi Fi and hair dryers are off:doh:

At work I have two Hi Blows.........keep them in a box OUTSIDE the fish house, reason? Not just to keep the noise to nil, but so they are drawing cool fresh air as opposed to moist warm air.

I used to lke those little piston pump air pumps, but not sure if they are available anymore.
  7. Cosmo

Cosmo Active Member

The piston pumps are still available here across the pond, but they are SO noisy :squig:

Best air pumps I've found since they stopped making the Silent Giants many years ago are from Jehmco - but not sure if the ship to Europe :doh:
  8. SteveO

SteveO Banned

Hi Harry,

I have a Ubbink Air 2000 in my living room setup, VERY powerful & quiet, will easily run 6 huey hungs with plenty of ooomph left....circa £50

[​IMG]

Air 2000
  9. Harry

Harry New Member

many thanks to everyone, i have taken all of your suggestions on board and will decide from these. regards to you all, harry.