1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you need to run a solenoid

Discussion in 'Tanks and Equipment' started by Steve B, Sep 29, 2007.

1. Steve B

Steve B Show Shareholder

Hi All,

What else do you need...can't seem to find a diagram to illustrate the set up!
    Solenoid + ???? (transformer)+ timer... can you point me in the right direction, please.
  2. mick b

mick b Gone, but not forgotten!

Hi Steve,
    Assuming you are turning on/off a water supply? with a 'solenoid valve'? then,

Check our "RO Man" ( and others), there you will find 240V AC (Mains) transformers, to 24 V DC (battery voltage), and 24 V DC solenoid valves.

The solenoid valve, turns on the water when 'energised' (well in this situation).

So (WITH THE MAINS SWITCH OFF!), plug the transformer, into a 24Hr timer, and connect the 24 VDC output, from the transformer, to the solenoid valve.

When the mains is supplied to the transformer (when the timer allows), the valve will open, when off etc etc

How you connect the valve into your water supply etc, I'm sure you have resolved etc.

HTH, Cheers, Mick B:D
  3. Steve B

Steve B Show Shareholder

Hi Mick,

I was hoping you would see this, thanks for the info...will look again at RO Man but I couldn't see the transformers. But you answered my question.
  4. mick b

Transformers may be shown with 24VDC 'Pumps'??

Just out of interest, the voltage of solenoid and transformer need to match,

24VDC solenoid, needs 24VDC trans, a 'modified 24VAC' unit, will 'buzz' (IME).

Hence, if getting solenoid and trans from mixed suppliers, you may wish to go 24 VAC for the solenoids, as in UK, 24 VAC transformers, seem to be the norm??

You can, equally go with direct 240VAC solenoids (I do) but they are not 'Above' the tank!

Check out the compatability etc, but there are loads if you google!:chuckle:
    M
  5. Steve B

Steve B Show Shareholder

Thanks Mick, I don't think I will go for the 240v:°°
  6. mick b

If you want safe and simple!

You can now get a 9volt battery powered solenoid & timer (see auto watering irrigation systems, at your local garden centre!, Hoze-lock do one etc), only 'ball-ache' is changing the 1/2" BSP Female connections (Garden-hose type) to say 6mm nylon, but you can get the convertors, out of the 6mm irrigation dripper tube accesories!

I think about £20 to £25 a pop, all in:bandana:

They tend to have 'set time periods' which you would need to check etc?

Cheers, Mick B
  7. Steve B

Steve B Show Shareholder

Thanks will have a look.....so far £44 for the 24v bits!
  8. Steve B

Steve B Show Shareholder

Hi Mick,

Thanks for the new line of thought! might be easier that way, will look better for sure!!
    Cost so far £34 all in! When it's all done I will post how where ect for others info, might help someone?

Thanks again.....BTW your tank looks great, nice one!:D