1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Fairy Tale

Discussion in 'bazzle' started by bazzle, Apr 11, 2011.

1. bazzle

bazzle Show Team & BIDKA Mentor

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Mark (MJE) without whom this story couldn't happen. Without his generosity and sponsorship of the challenge I would not have taken part.

In the beginning before we had started I sought advice from Martin (Discusq) Paul Butler and MJE on the best way to try to raise a group small fish I have used all the common parts of this advice as well as some I felt were also within my ability to implement when I was chosen to take part I was over the moon to say the least. I have had my troubles along the way and even though it was a competition my friends and co challengers have always been the first to offer help and advice with pm's offering to come and help when I was struggling to cope with the terrible loss of my wife's mother to cancer. Paul and Martin were the first to be there for me to offer help with anything they could do even cleaning and caring for my reptiles let alone my fish.

When I finally started to bounce back my friends on here have helped to encourage me to keep me positive and to keep battling on, the banter all the challengers have had has been most welcome. Those that were lucky to see the quality of the fish I had to compete against in the challenge in the tanks at the show will testify to the supreme effort that has been made by all the challengers there were some cracking fish there that I would be happy to have taken home to put in any of my tanks I can tell you.

Yes I have been very lucky to have had a dream come true, what a fairytale raise a 6.5cm fish to a Grand Champion for someone who has only been keeping Discus since just before joining this fantastic forum. I see this win as our win not mine a testament to the advice that is freely given on this site to the spirit of friendship. Im proud to call you all my friends this is a win for all of us

One thing that made it especially fantastic for me was my trophy "Best in Show sponsored by the members of BIDKA" it says, this was only due to 2 great men's dedication to the hobby Sid Adam and Paul Butler. Sid for his willingness to always want to help by organising and thinking of getting us all to chip in to help with the costs of the trophy's believe me I saw the invoice they were more expensive than I had ever imagined. Paul because he had the dream and the tenacity to stare extreme personal hardship and cost to make this show happen but in this case I would like to dedicate this win to a great man

Sid Adam for you big man

Right again I hadn't thought about having to quarantine my fish after bringing them home from the show but Martin and Paul were with the usual help and advice and I got home at about 12.40am today sorted a few things out and did some water changes moved some fish cleaned a couple of tanks more water changes and dropped and plopped my fish in there tanks sorry no photo's but like a plank I left my camera at the show :doh: and luckily for me my mate Slackey was there to bail me out again so a swift phone call and all is well and I'll be able to pick it up soon.

I intend to try to breed from "Big fella" and i feel that if the other brilliant is indeed a female with a little time and and growth she will be suitable for him she is a very nice fish and they had sort of started to try to pair I had seen them shimmying to each other so time will tell they are still young

I had the pleasure of meeting Mr & Mrs Stendker at the show and to say they were happy for one of their fish to have won the grand champion prize at the show would be an understatement so i've had my 10 seconds of fame and I'd like to thank you all
  2. plymouthjames

plymouthjames Member

Well done bazzle, that sounds like a speach straight off the X Factor!

Nice to see a Grand Champion raised in Devon!!!!
  3. hipflask

hipflask Admin Without A Clue Staff Member

Kenya Kenya
    think it will run a little longer than 10 secs bazzle. ;)
    I did not make the show unfortunately but looking at the shots robin took there were several top quality fish but one stand out . a well deserved honour baz and congrats.
  4. Gerry

Gerry Active Member

I seen it mate and your right to be proud, it is a stunning fish and had to beat more stunning fish. Congratulations, well deserved.
  5. Mark Evenden

Mark Evenden BIDKA Mentor & Sponsor Staff Member

6. toprod

toprod Moderator & BIDKA Mentor Staff Member

Bazzle you got exactly what you deserved. For those of you who have not met this man, he is generous to a fault, is willing to help anyone at a drop of a hat and his support for BIDKA is relentless forever chipping funds into Bidka,s coffers. This could.nt have happened to a nicer chap!I wish you the best of luck. Pass my regards on to your good lady.;)
  7. Steve B

Steve B Show Shareholder

It's what it's all about! Well done that man. :D
  8. bazzle

Guys your too kind

Dai my friend if your passing kettle is on tanks are full you still can't have Big fella though :evilgrin:

I will add here my marlborough was sold at the show for £100 which I have donated to the show fund I do have the other marly here which is a very nice fish if anyone would like this fish it does not fit into my breeding plans and will be available for sale also for BIDKA funds when i can i'll get it on the classifieds section
  9. papasan2

papasan2 BIDKA Challenger & Show Shareholder

nice one Baz the big fella won with the big fella

Stuart :):)
  10. Sye Davies

Sye Davies Active Member

very very well done to you baz:)
    im thrilled for you.

a cracking looking fish (obviously:rolleyes:)
  11. bazzle

Thanks Sye great to see you around a bit again now
  12. Sye Davies

Sye Davies Active Member

taking it to duisberg?
  13. bazzle

Thought about it but the water is crap I wouldn't want to risk him :confused:
  14. Sye Davies

Sye Davies Active Member

fair point;)
  15. mike os

mike os Administrator Staff Member

There is also a minimum number of fish 3 or 5 i cant remember which
  16. bazzle

At 50-60 euros a tank I think not :)
  17. RudeDogg1

RudeDogg1 Active Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    a belated well done fella
  18. RedBobster

RedBobster New Member

I wasn't here when this took place but hey well done big Feller :)
  19. bazzle

Thanks very much.......:D