1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SURF CLEAR SURFACE SKIMMER

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Paul S, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Paul S

Paul S Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Looking for a surface skimmer to remove a slight surface film from feeding beef heart and came across the SURF CLEAR SURFACE SKIMMER. At £16.95 delivered it looked a reasonable price and after watching a You tube video review I decided to buy one and try it out. It is a compact unit and has performed very well for the few days I have had it, albeit a little fiddly to set up initially. Longer term the tiny foam filter looks rather flimsy but regular cleaning should keep it in good condition. Two slight negatives, which make we wonder if the manufacturer has tested the unit with fish keepers. The power lead is very short, just over a metre long, which necessitated relocating an extension lead. Secondly when attached to the side of the tank the top of the unit lies just about 15 mm out from the side and if you have a strengthening bar along the side the unit is fitted to you need a clearance of about 12 mm from the water surface to the bar (I suppose I could cut the little handle off the skimmer float which would reduce the necessary clearance to around 6 mm). If the unit had an extension to the suckers to allow it to be held out from the side of the tank past the strengthening bar it would overcome this. The intake flow can be adjusted and it has done an excellent job in removing any surface film, so a positive review.
  2. Paul S

Paul S Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Have been using the skimmer for a few weeks now and it does work, with the surface noticeably clearer and a surprising amount of material in the filter. Examined under a microscope at work shows the deposits to be mostly fat deposits from the beef heart being fed. The filter sponge is small and needs cleaning each day under the tap. Then once a week I soak it in just boiled water to float off the fat deposits and keep it clear. So it works well but is really only suitable for a small tank (200 litres) or one with a low fish density (and hence low feeding).
  3. hipflask

hipflask Admin Without A Clue Staff Member

Kenya Kenya
    Nice review Paul.
  4. larry rogers

larry rogers Member

United States United States
    good review
  5. larry rogers

larry rogers Member

United States United States
    People will tell you that a protein skimmer only works in salt water setups, they are mis-informed. They will work anywhere there is sufficient protein to bubble. I have always had best results in brackish water tanks and tanks with a lot of invertebrates, especially snails. Snails leave a high protein film wherever they go and if you have nothing in the tank to feed upon the slime it breaks down and floats to the surface. Once on the surface it becomes a trap for aquarium litter and dust from the air. It also becomes an excellent target for a skimmer as it bubbles readily,is adhesive and carries the dirt with it, and also becomes a target for the decay bacteria that cause odors so that they are carried away too. When someone whom has had a dirty surface foe a while adds a skimmer he should look for an increase in loss of water due to evaporation. The increase in surface turbidity and the exposure of actual water and not the debris film lets more water evaporate. It is not significant but it is notable. The film also decreases oxygen exchange at the surface. Surface scum is sort of like having a piece of perforated plastic on the surface of your tank, you still get exchange' but; you can do a lot better. If you do not with to use a skimmer use a power head to agitate surface. Once it starts piling up nasty goam you will re-consider skimmer.
    Larry Rogers