1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Fish Have All Become Sick!

Discussion in 'Disease and Illness' started by SteveO, Oct 22, 2007.

1. SteveO

SteveO Banned

All my fish have become sick suddenly....

I noticed yesterday that there was a lot of slime floating in the water, the fish have fins clamped, fins are going white and erroding, they have bloodshot faces and sit all facing the same way very still and pale, some breathing from only one gill. One fish has shed its stomach lining. All appetites are very good but after food they go very still.

pH7.3
    30 Degrees Celcius
    0 Nitrite
    0 Ammonia
    30 ppm Nitrate
    kH & gH approx 3 degrees

What I've done.

Flubenol 15 - 2 grams per 160 litres incase of flukes
    80% water change with Preheated HMA (from new cartridges)
    1st treatment with No.9

I think its internal bacterial due to the blood under the flesh around the nasal area.

I'm going to keep the water changes up for a few days and observe now.

Ps. A couple are flicking heavily off tank furniture.

Any more ideas?
  2. Mark Evenden

Mark Evenden BIDKA Mentor & Sponsor Staff Member

any new fish last 7 days?

mje
  3. SteveO

SteveO Banned

Nothing Mark, all fish have been together for at least 3 months and were properly QT'd :(
  4. Mark Evenden

Mark Evenden BIDKA Mentor & Sponsor Staff Member

5. SweetPoison~

SweetPoison~ New Member

Steve ~ gosh, I am so sorry! Somehow though you must have contaminated your tank? With something....?

Perhaps your hands?....after the discus show....or did you go? I almost killed all of mine one year, as my hand went into a qt tank then ( I was on the phone not paying attention ) I went to the other room and put my hand in my fav tank!

12 hours later ~ was awful:(
  6. poconogal

poconogal New Member

It sure was, I remember... :(

Steve, I hope they'll be okay...
  7. Graham

Graham New Member

Doesn't sound like fun at all....with excess mucus, clamped fins, fins shredding, flashing veining...all that says external parasite to me...know anyone with a microscope?

I'd be shotgunning with a formalin/malachite green product......

Graham
  8. SweetPoison~

SweetPoison~ New Member

A external parasite, Graham? On a dime, like that? Explain.....please?
  9. SteveO

SteveO Banned

Fish are still alive....no appetite now, little response from them, more slime in the water :(

[​IMG]
  10. kevinattwyford

kevinattwyford BIDKA Member & Show Shareholder

This sounds like a major problem Steve. I'm so sorry:(

Any chance of setting one of your other tanks up with fresh water and Polyfilter in a sterilised external?

I would be thinking salt dips and into new water?

Good luck - Kev
  11. SteveO

SteveO Banned

I don't understand whats gone wrong Kev....

I added some new biomedia about 3 days ago, just the plastic bioball stuff...washed it thoroughly 1st. :(

I have no polyfilter or matured external filter, its going to have to be an in house job whatever I do!
  12. Paul

Paul BIDKA Founder

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Steve,

I know how frustrating things like this are. Over the last 7 days can you recall any other changes? Already we know you had new HMA blocks and some new bio media, did you visit anyones aquarium or fish house? any chance of contamination from such a source?

I agree it sounds like an external parasite, I doubt its flukes though. Without doing a scrape and look its very difficult to id, FMG is very good in these cases, lots of air though if you use it.
  13. kevinattwyford

kevinattwyford BIDKA Member & Show Shareholder

Did this stuff come with the tanks etc? Did you sterilize it?
  14. Paul

Paul BIDKA Founder

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Looking at the pics, I think we have time on our side, I'd be loathe to dump more meds in there just yet, despite my previous advice.

I do not believe it is an internal infection at this stage so interpet no9 is not needed, and as a matter of course if you suspect a bacterial infection, lower the temps, this gives you more time to assess, diagnose correctly and treat.

It could have been a toxin introduced either from the bio media or if you've changed filter floss and not rinsed that. My advice before doing anything else is run the tank water through activated carbon for an hour or two.
  15. SteveO

SteveO Banned

It was brand new sealed in a bag Kev, I did add some sintered glass that came with the tanks, it was sterilized with a strong solution of milton for 24 hours, rinsed for a few hours and then boiled in a large cauldron for 1/2 hour the next day.

This problem has been coming on since before I added the new media when I look back, the 1st thing I spotted was the whitening and ragged fins....I suspected that the water had crashed but its fine. The reddening of the faces I put down to them colouring up as 4 of them are sub adult RT's.

They have eaten now anyway and are responding to me more but fins are clamped and looking tattered.

I do have another tank setup as QT at the moment with a few juvvies in there, I placed a sacrificial in with them from my main tank and they are fine as can be after 2 weeks.

I'm just going to look for some now, I have some in the house somewhere, thanks mate ;)
  16. Steve.r

Steve.r BIDKA Member & Show Shareholder

Philippines Philippines
    Steve, just thinking here, when you changed your carbon blocks/filters, did you flush them through before using the product water...With most new filter blocks I think they always recommend not using the first few gallons passed through as it removes any preserver.

Steve
  17. Robbie James

Robbie James New Member

Steve so sorry to read this and i hope you and the rest of the gang can get this sorted. Wont offer any thing as i am far to much a beginner but wish you all the best in getting this thing licked.

Robbie
  18. SteveO

SteveO Banned

Yes Steve, they've been ruuning a few weeks since I purchased them from MJE.

Thanks Robbie,

If it helps other members to recognise potential problems with their fish and if I lose them the knowledge they gain is some comfort.

Steve.
  19. poconogal

poconogal New Member

I agree with Graham. In fact, it sounds EXACTLY like the problem that Teresa Pastrana had with all of her Discus, which then turned into a bacterial infection as well. She treated with Quick Cure (as Graham said, an FMG product), she had to do several WCs daily because of all the slime, and she did salt dips as well, I believe twice a day, all under Paul B's guidance.

Once they developed blood red streaks in the fins even with Quick Cure and the salt dips, I advised her to use Maracyn 2 with which she continued to use Quick Cure after researching whether they could be used together. By day 2 of Maracyn 2 treatment, they began to eat again. She had Discus that became literally scales and bones, simply horrid looking, who are now beautiful again and healthy. But she did lose 5 of her smaller ones.

All in all, her and her Discus' tribulations went on for several weeks. To this day, I marvel at her tenacity, especially since I don't think she had her pump for WCs yet. And it all started with the delivery of her WB who arrived in no water. He was in QT, but she managed to contaminate her show tank as well.
  20. Cliffsdiscus

Cliffsdiscus Member

Sounds like you got what the Asian Discus keeper call Bak(White slime disease) use Marycin 2, lower the ph. to 5, add salt and make daily waterchange. This disease has been coming in the U.S. for at least the 4 years, you don't have to bring in new fish as this disease is already in the Discus when you purchase them any kind of stress can trigger this disease.

Cliff