1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with possible fin rot

Discussion in 'Disease and Illness' started by spartan69, Oct 9, 2007.

1. spartan69

spartan69 New Member

Hi all,
    not having had rot before i'm not sure if this is it but it looks like all the pictures i've found. Basically i would like to know
    a. Is it fin rot?
    b. Best options for clearing it up?

The fish are currently in a QT tank as i've only had them a short while and as of yet only 2 fish have developed any noticeable problem. The fins are a cloudy white colour and very raggedy as you can hopefully see (guess i won't be winning any photo comp yet:oops:). I would like to know if i should seperate the so far unaffected fish or leave them and dose the whole tank just in case. I have already done a full course of Myxazin with no noticeable difference.
    Have already P'Md Steve R and he suggested a salt bath which i will be doing tomorrow as i have no sea salt here (i have got some Saxa fine sea saltwith trace elements of calcium & magnesium and anti-caking agents, will that be ok?), how often do i need to do this? once or over a period of days? He also suggested making the QT tank 'salty' as well, would i use the sea salt here also or do i need a different type of salt for this and how much salt would be classed as salty ( its a 60ltr tank).
    Sorry about all these questions, but i'm not only new to discus but i've never yet had any diseases in my other tanks (fingers crossed on that now i've said it).

Oh and before i forget here are the params of the tank:
    Ph - 7.14
    Nitrate - 5 ppm(mg\L)
    Nitrite - .25 ppm(mg\L)
    Amonia - 0
    Kh - 50 ppm(mg\L)
    Gh - 100(mg\L)
    Temp - 28.4
    All readings were done using an API test kit so they are a little subjective depending on how you read the colour charts

Thanks in advance Steve H

Attached Files:

2. LizStreithorst

LizStreithorst Active Member

Steve as well as fin rot, I see skinny fish. If they were mine, I'd treat for external parasites first. Second I'd give them a good worming with flubenol. Next I'd use Furan 2 or a prodect we have here in the US called Fungus Clear. What does their poop loon like?
  3. Steve B

Steve B Show Shareholder

Hi Steve,

Is there any chance that the Ph dropped over a period of time?
    This I have seen before where the fins are eaten away but not by fin rot.
    Just a thought.
  4. Paul

Paul BIDKA Founder

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Steve,

The fins could be fin rot, or it could be shipping damage. Given that the readings are showing small amounts of nitrite, I would up the w/c's for a while and as Liz says they look a bit skinny so up their feeding too. If you up the feeding make sure your up the w/c's else you will have an ammonia spike. It's possible they may have an internal parasite, a treatment with flubenol 15 (if you can get it) would fix that, I'd hold on all the other meds, except for adding 2 tablespons of salt to the tank to offset any nitrite poisoning. Any salt will do, I use Tesco's cooking salt (its cheap :oops:)
  5. spartan69

spartan69 New Member

Thanks for those quick replies
    @ Liz I've only had them about 2 weeks and they are young fish and v. small still, about 2 inches so far. They have not been wormed yet as it's still on my to-do list for new fish. Their poo looks fine and they are eating anything & everything i give them so far. Not got any Furan so it looks like another shopping trip tomorrow :) BTW what would you suggest treating them for external parasites with?

@ Steve B I've been monitoring the Ph 4-5 times a day and its been steady between 7.1 & 7.15 for the last week although its possible there have been spikes during the night

@ Paul The fish were bought fairly locally so could they get damaged shipping? W\c i've been doing is 25 ltr every other day, maybe daily in future then? Is that 2 tblspoons total or so many per litre? Flubenol Hmm looks like an e-bay shop as well or maybe go begging round Steve R's if he will talk to me after reading this :)
  6. Steve.r

Steve.r BIDKA Member & Show Shareholder

Philippines Philippines
    Steve, lol, no problem;)

I can let you have a bit of F-15. As for salt, Paul is the expert on that, but I believe that 2 tablespoons per 10 gallons is about right, (gents please correct me if I am wrong) For internal parasites Interpet 9 should do the trick.

Steve
  7. spartan69

spartan69 New Member

Thanks Steve you may just be getting a knock on your door soon if i can't get any F-15 online:D. Looks like i've gotta get my calculator out as everyone works in gallons and my poor brain can't convert gals-ltrs without help:°°. Interpet No9, is that available in lfs or is it another online buy?

Thanx for all the help and info everyone

Steve H
  8. Steve.r

Steve.r BIDKA Member & Show Shareholder

Philippines Philippines
    Interpet 9 in lfs,
  9. Paul

Paul BIDKA Founder

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi Steve (spartan)

if they are local then shipping damage is unlikely, however it could be poor water quality combined with how they were kept by whoever you got them from.

The salt is for the mitigation of nitrite and not as a med. It would be 2 tablespoons for the tank as its 60litres.

I would try a week or so of good water before adding any further meds except for the flubenol, I think using the flubenol will at least deal with most worms etc (and some external stuff)

Paul Lucas had some don't know if he still does, not sure if Mark Evenden does, but a pm to both will soon find out :)

As for your meds, such things a furan 2 is not available over the counter in the UK, however I have had good success with Interpet no 9. Interpet do a good finrot treatment too, but try upping w/c to daily for a week or so first.
  10. spartan69

spartan69 New Member

Thanks for that Paul, so daily water changes it is then. Flubenol now in hand (thanx Steve:D). Will make a trip down lfs tomorrow for some interpet

Again thanks all for the help\info

Steve H
  11. yoco

yoco New Member

hi guy's if you need to do any calculation's and are not to sure how to work them out they have a very good calculation page with most thing to do with are hobby on the practical fishkeeping site I hope this help,s it has me in the past :(
  12. kevinattwyford

kevinattwyford BIDKA Member & Show Shareholder

:)

Attached Files:

13. spartan69

spartan69 New Member

Thanks for that Kev, I'm sure it will come in handy:)