1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dark Fish

Discussion in 'Disease and Illness' started by salty, Oct 28, 2012.

1. salty

salty Well-Known Member

hi guys , ive pretty much explained everything in the form below but in a nutshell ive been on holiday come back and started feeding with no problems and continued with tank maint and for the last couple of days one of the fish has been going dark and sitting under the spray bar at the top of the tank and not eating. all ive done so far is up the wc frequency and amount.

any ideas on how to go with this? thanks :)

1. Water parameters
    a) Temperature range. 28-29
    b) pH.
    c) GH.
    d) KH
    e)Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite, levels. 0,10,0
    f) Water change frequency between 25-50% daily or every two days, depends on other tank maintenance activities.

2. Tank set up
    a) Size. 400l inc sump
    b) Substrate. sand
    c) Filtration. sump
    d) Furnishings. 2 cones
    e) Other tank mates. 12 corys
    f) How long has it been set-up? 8 months
    g) When was the last new fish added? 3 months ish

3. Symptoms / Problem description
    Been away on holiday for two weeks (and have been home for 1 now)so the fish have been left in the control of my dad whos just been turning the lights on and topping up the sump by using a 1/4 tap in the sump etc. while ive been away they have not been fed at all or any tank maintenance.
    on return from holiday the tank was in need of a good wipe down and clean out so this was done as normal. now when i got home the fish all seemed ok so i started to introduce bh but in very small amounts and i am still doing this, all the other fish are still eating but this one has stopped but im sure it did eat when i first fed when i got home, but has now stopped and is sitting at the top of the tank under the spray bar looking dark and sorry for itself and fins a little clamped.
    there are no external marks on the fish or anything blindingly obvious to me but if i can i get a picture and post it up.

4. Action taken (if any)
    WC upped to around 100% but spilt up throughout the day.

5. Medications used (if any)
    None
  2. salty

salty Well-Known Member

any ideas anyone, fish hasnt moved all day :(
  3. hipflask

hipflask Admin Without A Clue Staff Member

Kenya Kenya
    sorry salty, this one seems to have been missed by all:(
    doing the WC will do no harm, so good call. any sign of bullying before now?
  4. Paul

Paul BIDKA Founder

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Does the fish show any rocking or swaying type movement? Don't suppose you've seen it poop?

How do it's eyes look? i.e. cloudy, dark, bright, clear, dull etc ... if you can see if there is any slime coat build up or any speckles on or in the slime coat.

Good call on upping w/c's.
  5. salty

salty Well-Known Member

its ok mate just felt left out lol. no bullying apart from the normal, the fish in question is the female from the pair i won from mark and when i came back were actually showing signs of spawning again so a bit of a shock really. ive been considering doing a pp treatment as ive had an ongoing issue with the fish flicking and rubbing against the sand so i presume and external parasite maybe? im still trying to get a decent picture but its proving difficult, im just cleaning the filter and wiping down etc atm so might be able to get one in a bit.

cheers for the help
  6. salty

salty Well-Known Member

paul no rocking or swaying and no unfortunately i haven't seen it poo in particular you know how hard that can be lol.

eyes are clear and bright just like they have always been no speckles either. the slime coat does seem slightly thicker than normal but is only really noticeable on the pectoral fins.

only thing ive noticed is its been sitting fins semi clamped slightly facing upwards.

no bloating either as far as i can see.

cheers mate
  7. Paul

Paul BIDKA Founder

ok, well it's good that there is no rocking / swaying and good that the eyes are clear. It could very well be a parasite given the symptoms. See how it responds to the water changes and if no joy then may be worth treating.

Be your call as to whether to do it in the display tank or a qt tank. If you do decide to treat PP is one option as is F&MG - in display tanks, i.e. with wood and sand and sometimes plants, it often needs a few follow up treatments and I prefer to use F&MG but either should work. PP is my preferred choice in BB tanks but again both will work.
  8. Matty

Matty Active Member

Paul, out of interest, what would rocking and/or swaying indicate?
  9. salty

salty Well-Known Member

here is a pic im actually quite worried now as there are three brownish lumps on the body that i haven't been able to see up until now as she has moved to a corner while i was wiping down. Paul tank only has sand in if that influences the decision on treatment? or is a different line now needed based on the photo?

ive just caught a glimpse of the other side and looks like there is the same lump on the head of the fish too.

[​IMG]
  10. Paul

Paul BIDKA Founder

Can be a number of things but commonly it is flexibacter columnaris but can also indicate flagellates too as well as other internal parasites.
  11. Paul

Paul BIDKA Founder

See if you can get a look at the colour of the gills, hopefully they will be a bright meat red (or deep pink). For tonight a good water change will be ok I think. The eyes look a little dull to me, not massively so and it may just be that is their normal colour.

With the rest of the discus does their poop look ok? i.e. firm, brown/black etc ... Also try and look at the fish head on and see what shape it is, should be a nice () shape, do this with a few of the others too.
    tonyfaulk likes this.
  12. salty

salty Well-Known Member

i cant see the gill atm but ill keep an eye out. the eye in the pic i agree is dullish but the other eye is clear (didnt see the dull one first :().

poo is fine with all the other fish and they are all eating fine and pooing well, all fish do have the right shape as you described so well :)
  13. Paul

Paul BIDKA Founder

All good news, lets see how it goes with some clean water for a couple of days. Keep a close watch on all of them.
  14. salty

salty Well-Known Member

no problem at all, ill continue with the big wc and report back tomorrow, thanks for the help guys :)
  15. salty

salty Well-Known Member

update for today, fish is still the same as yesterday, dark and hiding under the spray bar and has been doing so all day. because of its position i still cant see the gills though. ive been continuing with the 100% wc via the constant wc but have split it in to morning and afternoon so 200l per go, the tank has never looked so clean and all the other fish are fine bright and active as usual. ive got 200l of fresh water heating atm just incase i need to do a pp treatment.
  16. Paul

Paul BIDKA Founder

If needs be, net the fish and take a look. Just gently lift the gill cover using your finger nail.
  17. CraigN

CraigN Moderator Staff Member

LOL unless you are like me and don't have long nails :)
  18. Paul

Paul BIDKA Founder

:doh: always one ;) in that case, by carefully using a finger or thumb under the chin, you can ease the gill up - takes a bit of practice and you must be careful!
  19. CraigN

CraigN Moderator Staff Member

Sorry could not resist
  20. salty

salty Well-Known Member

how important is it to see the colour of the gills Paul? reason being the fish still hasn't moved and i doubt it will until the lights go out and obviously i dont really want to net the fish and stress it further if its not overly necessary.