1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bullying.

Discussion in 'Disease and Illness' started by basshowa, Sep 2, 2011.

1. basshowa

basshowa New Member

Hi all, I am new to discus (5 months ). These are beautiful fish, but such bullies. I have had 6 discus in my 180 lt tank. Sizes one 6" four 4-5" and a 3". The pidgeon, panda, melon and blue diamond are the bullies. The leopard and yellow crystal the bullied. A week ago I found them using the yellow crystal like a football, head butting it all around the tank, It ended up unable to swim upright. I put it in a salted quarranteen tank for protection, unfortunately it did not survive.

The leopard which has been bullied from the start continues to get battered. It has survived I think because it is the second biggest in the tank. Without the crystal to bully they seem to be picking on it more and more.

My question is how do I stop it, or do I have to remove it from the tank?

Attached Files:

2. jimbo

jimbo BIDKA Mentor Staff Member

you may have some breeding behaviour going on hence the bullying, you always get a little bullying but nothing to worry about. what temp are you running at ? if your running it at 86 try dropping it to about 82-83, it may help.
  3. basshowa

basshowa New Member

The temperature is 86. The melon and blue diamond have teamed up 7-8 times without success, and protected their eggs without to much bullying. The Pidgeon and Panda are the worse offenders. I will try dropping the temperature. Many Thanks.