1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Breeding Wild Discus

Discussion in 'Breeding Discus' started by Steve Lancashire, Dec 7, 2016.

1. papasan2

papasan2 BIDKA Challenger & Show Shareholder

You were very lucky Steve but well done for turning things around
    Stuart
  2. Graham C

Graham C Active Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    What a nightmare. I feared from your silence that things had gone wrong. Was just about to order some new fish myself from my usual supplier but starting to think it's too risky (did it once before without any problems, but maybe just lucky). Would be useful to know what cured the problem - metro, protozin or lots of water changes? Presumably this would have happened even after 6 weeks of QT - the only way to minimise damage by introducing a single 'lamb' to the QT tank? Given that this seems to be a frequent problem, I'd like to know what major breeders/retailers do to minimise this when they source fish from all over the place? Glad you turned it round anyway - cracking fish!
  3. Steve Lancashire

Steve Lancashire Active Member

Silence, work, treat, eat, sleep, silence, work, treat, eat, sleep and repeat. I sort of hedged my bets, having had fish with HITH and treated them successfully before I have seen worse looking things, but you still always fear the worst.

So to be sure I used the tablets with the Metronadizol to hit any internal infection and used the Protozin for the Bacterial infection. Water changes were done to remove anything being carried in the water, but full dose of Protozin after each change.

I removed all plants tied to wood and scrubbed everything. So basically some well over the top hygiene and maintenance, a few prayers and lots of finger crossing. Because it was a mixture of fish, my own, and some of the new ones it was impossible to tell which fish infected who. So I decided to treat the lot in one tank together.

Things looking a lot better now.

Cheers,

Steve
    larry rogers and Graham C like this.
  4. streety

streety Active Member

Fair play to you Steve for your honesty and the hard work you put in to turn it round.
    Well done on both counts.
    Definitely no 'I told you so's' from me, I've made far to many mistakes myself.
    Here's to the future,
    James
  5. Steve Lancashire

Thanks James, it's been knackering and stressful but watching them swim around now eating their food you would hardly know anything had gone wrong. Yesterday I cleaned out the Eheim Professional 3e 600T filter. Things were going great until I knackered the hose connector, took me all day to fix a solution. New part on its way.

Oh the joys of Discus keeping eh!

We must arrange a time to meet again soon, and decide if we are going to order any botanicals from Tannins Aquatics.

Cheers,

Steve
    larry rogers likes this.
  6. streety

streety Active Member

Let me know when is best for you, you could come and have a brew anytime! I'll buy those pods from you as well.
    larry rogers likes this.
  7. hipflask

hipflask Admin Without A Clue Staff Member

Kenya Kenya
    We have all been there Steve. QT catches us all out at some point but you have turned the corner and now with 20/20 so win, win.
  8. Steve Lancashire

Cheers Greg, it won't happen again! That said I could have QT'd them for five weeks, then dropped the sacrificial lamb from the main tank into the QT tank, then what would I have done if it became infected?

It's a bit puzzling?:confused:

Cheers,

Steve
    larry rogers likes this.
  9. Steve Lancashire

Greg, I believe the theory is that you quarantine your wild discus for the recommended period, using something like Protozin or Myxazin to eradicate the bacteria they may be carrying, then drop one of your other discus from the main show tank in with the wilds as the sacrificial lamb. If neither the wilds or the domestic discus go down with anything after a week it is safe to assume you can then put them all together. Francis Hu has just posted a video on Facebook of doing exactly this. Sounds like a plan.

Cheers,

Steve
    larry rogers likes this.
  10. larry rogers

larry rogers Member

United States United States
    Steve

Yes quarantine will fail on some occasions. I once lost discus when an intestinal affliction failed to show up in quarantine. The sacrificial lamb survived so in the tank they went. A week later all hell broke loose, twelve fish in the tank and the only ones upright were the newbies and the lamb. The lamb turned out to have some genetic immunity and would eventually be the only survivor. Nature played a trick on me that time but that is the exception and not the rule. Today that wouldn't happen to me because checking fecal smears is part of my quarantine regimen. Also today we have many better and faster acting remedies. And we have better diagnostic pools where many of the flukes in infections have been seen before and will be picked up in conversation. Now I even quarantine feeder fish, many say i am rediculous, but they lose fish and I seldom do.

Larry
  11. Steve Lancashire

Well folks I can not believe how much time has gone by since I last updated this post. I am embarrassed actually:shy: how long it has been. But to be honest not a great deal has occurred other than I am still trying to get these Wild Red Spotted Green Discus to breed!:mad::mad:

All the discus survived the last panic with the bacterial infections etc and are all looking good. So here are just a few photographs of my favourite fish. The white things floating about are white worms from my own cultures.

Would anyone like to make an estiamte on whether this is a male or female?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers, Steve
  12. papasan2

Looks like you have turned things around very well Steve the end results are looking good
    Oh I wish!!
    Stuart
  13. Steve Lancashire

Hi Stuart, I am surprised you still come on here:) Hows things with you mate? Have you got your tank set up again or not? So what do you think of your old fish then, did you recognise them from when you had them.

Take care,

Best regards,

Steve
  14. papasan2

The fish look spot on Steve
    Well the family member has got over the big C I still have a fused spine so a fter a month of looking at a empty tank I decided to have a bash at marines and the tank has been running about 8 months now with 25l water changes every two weeks which is a lot more back friendly then running a discus tank
    Stuart
  15. hipflask

hipflask Admin Without A Clue Staff Member

Kenya Kenya
    That is one head turning fish Steve. I like it, a lot!
    Steve Lancashire likes this.
  16. Steve Lancashire

Cheers Greg, I love it too. I'd love it even more if it would get it arse in gear and pair off with another one. I still have no real idea what sex it is, I must have changed my mind a thousand times. Won't know for sure until a pair is formed and I can watch them laying and fertilising the eggs. I wish